Certified Tester Foundation Level (CTFL) v3.1 [Retiring]
The ISTQB® Certified Tester Foundation Level (CTFL) certification provides essential testing knowledge that can be put to practical use and, very importantly, explains the terminology and concepts that are used worldwide in the testing domain. CTFL is relevant across software delivery approaches and practices including Waterfall, Agile, DevOps, and Continuous Delivery. CTFL certification is recognized as a prerequisite to all other ISTQB® certifications where Foundation Level is required.
The Foundation Level certification is suitable for anyone who needs to demonstrate practical knowledge of the fundamental concepts of software testing including people in roles such as testers, test analysts, test engineers, test consultants, test managers, user acceptance testers, and software developers.
It is also appropriate for individuals who need a basic understanding of software testing including project managers, quality managers, software development managers, business analysts, IT directors, and management consultants.
A candidate who has achieved the Foundation Level certification should be able to:
- Promote efficient and effective communication by using a common vocabulary for software testing
- Understand fundamental concepts of software testing
- Demonstrate understanding of how different development and testing practices, and different constraints on testing, may apply in optimizing testing to different contexts
- Contribute effectively in reviews
- Use established techniques for designing tests at all test levels
- Interpret and execute tests from given test specifications, and report on test results
- Understand test management principles for resources, strategies, planning, project control, and risk management
- Write and communicate clear and understandable defect reports
- Understand the project factors that drive the test priorities and test approach
- Understand the value that software testing brings to stakeholders
- Appreciate how testing activities and work products align with project objectives, measures, and targets
- Assist in the selection and implementation process of testing tool
Training for the Certified Tester Foundation Level is available from Accredited Training Providers (classroom, virtual, and e-learning). We highly recommend attending accredited training as it ensures that an ISTQB® Member Board has assessed the materials for relevance and consistency against the syllabus.
Self-study, using the syllabus and recommended reading material, is also an option when preparing for the Foundation Level exam.
Holders of this certification will be eligible to proceed to the next stage of the Core stream and take Test Analyst, Technical Test Analyst, or Test Management Advanced Level certifications. They may also choose to follow the Agile or Specialist streams to develop specific skills.