Certified Tester Advanced Level Test Manager (CTAL-TM)
The Advanced Level Test Manager certification is aimed at people who have already achieved an advanced point in their careers in software testing and wish to develop further their expertise in test management.
To gain this certification, candidates must hold the Certified Tester Foundation Level certificate and have sufficient practical experience. Please contact an ISTQB® Member Board or Exam Provider to determine the specific practical experience criteria.
A candidate who has achieved the Certified Tester Advanced Level Test Manager certification should be able to:
- Manage a testing project by implementing the mission, goals and testing processes established for the testing organization
- Organize and lead risk identification and risk analysis sessions and use the results of such sessions for test estimation, planning, monitoring and control
- Create and implement test plans consistent with organizational policies and test strategies
- Continuously monitor and control the test activities to achieve project objectives
- Assess and report relevant and timely test status to project stakeholders
- Identify skills and resource gaps in their test team and participate in sourcing adequate resources
- Identify and plan necessary skills development within their test team
- Propose a business case for test activities which outlines the costs and benefits expected;
- Ensure proper communication within the test team and with other project stakeholders
- Participate in and lead test process improvement initiatives
Training is available from Accredited Training Providers (classroom, virtual, and e-learning). We highly recommend attending accredited training as it ensures that an ISTQB® Member Board has assessed the materials for relevance and consistency against the syllabus.
Self-study, using the syllabus and recommended reading material, is also an option when preparing for the exam.
Holders of this certification may choose to proceed to other Core, Agile, or Specialist stream certifications.