ISTQB® established, and continues to evolve, the internationally-recognized Certified Tester scheme which is a portfolio of certifications that develop, extend, and validate testing skills. The scheme is built around syllabi created by a global network of experts, the ISTQB® Glossary, sample exams, and the Testing Body of Knowledge (TBOK).
The Certified Tester Foundation Level certification provides testing professionals with essential terminology and a breadth of knowledge. It is the prerequisite to the other modules within the scheme which offer depth and specialization.
- The “Core” stream modules are valid for any technology/ methodology/ application domain and build on the Foundation Level.
- The “Agile” stream focuses on testing practices specifically for the Agile methodology.
- The “Specialist” stream provides a deep dive into areas which may be based on quality characteristics, specific test approaches and test activities, or which cluster testing know-how for certain industry domains.
The Certified Tester Scheme and the portfolio of certifications continuously evolve based on insights from experts and industry leaders from around the globe, as well as market studies and trends (including from the ISTQB® Effectiveness Survey).
The ISTQB® is dedicated to ensuring that the scheme and portfolio continue to serve the testing community by:
- Ensuring high quality of deliverables
- Continuously adapting to maintain relevance
- Providing focussed in depth learning with specialist certifications
- Offering global accessibility to the comprehensive portfolio
- Committing to making resources such as syllabi, sample exams, and glossary openly available
- Providing an overall framework in which existing, as well as future modules, will fit in a coherent way
- Considering applicable international standards and aligning as appropriate
- Keeping the focus on software testing whilst adapting to changing quality characteristics and role responsibilities
- Maintaining the validity of certifications already obtained
Engaging with the broader community is inherent to the activities of ISTQB®. Our strong connection to academia is facilitating the development of industry recognised skills within the academic curriculum and strengthening our links to research in the field of testing and quality engineering. For organizations we offer the Partner Program as a value-added service that allows partners to demonstrate their commitment to validating competence within their organization through certification, and to provide feedback which the ISTQB® uses to ensure that market needs are met. ISTQB® promotes and engages in further interactions within the testing community by supporting conferences. Listening to individuals, companies, and organizations is instrumental in being able to best serve the testing community.
Find out more
ISTQB®, like other professional bodies including the ACM and IEEE, advocates for a code of ethics as part of our commitment to the profession.
The ISTQB® defines the following code of ethics:
- PUBLIC - Certified software testers shall act consistently in the public interest.
- CLIENT AND EMPLOYER - Certified software testers shall act in a manner that is in the best interests of their client and employer, consistent with the public interest.
- PRODUCT - Certified software testers shall ensure that the deliverables they provide (on the products and systems they test) meet the highest professional standards possible.
- JUDGMENT - Certified software testers shall maintain integrity and independence in their professional judgment.
- MANAGEMENT - Certified software test managers and leaders shall subscribe to and promote an ethical approach to the management of software testing.
- PROFESSION - Certified software testers shall advance the integrity and reputation of the profession consistent with the public interest.
- COLLEAGUES - Certified software testers shall be fair to and supportive of their colleagues, and promote cooperation with software developers.
- SELF - Certified software testers shall participate in lifelong learning regarding the practice of their profession and shall promote an ethical approach to the practice of the profession.