- Business Outcomes
- Learning Objectives
- Exam Structure
- Materials for Download
Agile testing is a relatively new approach to software testing that follows the principles of agile software development as outlined in the Agile Manifesto.
A tester on an Agile project will work differently than one working on a traditional project. Testers must understand the values and principles that underpin Agile projects, and how testers are an integral part of a whole-team approach together with developers and business representatives.
There is a lot of confusion concerning agile testing – which means there’s an educational opportunity as well. The Agile Tester will give the tester the knowledge to be part of agile testing teams and achieve high performance.
Have a look at the Agile Tester Smartshow.
What are the entry criteria?
To be eligible to undertake the Agile Tester Foundation certification exam, candidates must first hold the ISTQB® Foundation Certificate.
The following picture summarizes the contents of the Agile Tester syllabus:
An Agile Tester can...
- Collaborate in a cross-functional Agile team being familiar with principles and basic practices of Agile software development.
- Adapt existing testing experience and knowledge to Agile values and principles.
- Support the Agile team in planning test-related activities.
- Apply relevant methods and techniques for testing in an Agile project.
- Assist the Agile team in test automation activities.
- Assist business stakeholders in defining understandable and testable user stories, scenarios, requirements and acceptance criteria as appropriate.
- Work and share information with other team members using effective communication styles and channels.
In general, a Certified Tester Foundation Level – Agile Tester is expected to have acquired the necessary skills to working effectively within an Agile team and environment.
Certified agile testers should be able to demonstrate their skills in the following areas:
- The Fundamentals of Agile Software Development
- The different agile approaches
- The Differences between Testing in Traditional and Agile Approaches
- Testing in Agile Projects
- Roles and skills of a tester in Agile Projects
- Agile testing techniques and methods
- Assess product quality risks within an Agile project
- Estimate testing effort based on iteration content and quality risks
- Tools in Agile Projects
The Agile Tester is based on the ISTQB® Agile Tester Syllabus.
The International Software Testing Qualifications Board (ISTQB®) provides it to the national examination bodies for them to accredit the training providers and to derive examination questions in their local language.
Training providers will produce courseware and determine appropriate teaching methods for accreditation, and the syllabus will help candidates in their preparation for the examination.
To receive the Agile Tester certification, candidates must hold the Foundation Certificate.
The Agile Tester Syllabus is available in Materials for download section.
Similar to the Foundation Level Certification exam, the Agile Tester Certification exam will comprise of 40 multiple choice questions, with a pass mark of 65% to be completed within 60 minutes.
Participants that take the exam not in their spoken language, will receive additional 25% time, for a total of 75 minutes.
|Module||Number of questions||Exam length (minutes)||Exam length +25% (minutes)|
|Foundation Level Agile Tester||40||60||75|
Accredited training providers
Exams may be taken as part of a course delivered by an Accredited Training Provider or taken independently at an examination center or in a public exam.
The typical duration of the Agile Certification Training offered by an Accredited Training Provider is 2 days. Completion of an accredited training course is not a prerequisite for participating to the exam.
Materials for Download
|Agile Tester Syllabus 2014||Size 598.11 KB|
|Agile Tester Sample Exam A v1.2 Questions||Size 664.23 KB|
|Agile Tester Sample Exam A v1.2 Answers||Size 740.3 KB|
|ISTQB Exam Structures and Rules v1.0||Size 173.11 KB|
|Exam Structure Tables v1.0||Size 880.46 KB|
|Agile Tester Overview||Size 288.68 KB|