- Business Outcomes
- Learning Objectives
- Exam Structure
- Materials for Download
Model-based testing is an innovative test approach to improve effectivity and efficiency of the test process. A model-based tester on a project uses models to drive test analysis and design, and keeps advantage of the models for other testing activities such as test implementation and reporting.
ISTQB® Model-Based Tester certification complements the core foundation level as a specialist module. It provides a practical and easy entry to the MBT approach.
Download the"Model-Based Tester in a Nutshell" presentation
What are the entry criteria?
To be eligible to undertake the Model-Based Tester Foundation certification exam, candidates must first hold the ISTQB® Foundation Certificate.
Added value of ISTQB® Model-Based Tester Foundation certification
To further establish MBT as a leading edge solution in industrial software testing, a common glossary and aid to overcome the "fear of new technology" is needed. The ISTQB® MBT course is designed as an exact means to provide the so far lacking de facto standard for MBT and the necessary support for transferring the topic into the projects and taking it to the people who want to get into it in order to work efficiently and effectively with MBT.
The following picture summarizes the contents of the Model-Based Tester syllabus:
This section lists the Business Outcomes expected of a candidate who has achieved the Foundation Level Model-Based Tester certification.
A Model-Based Tester can...
- Collaborate in a model-based testing team using standard terminology and established MBT concepts, processes and techniques.
- Apply and integrate model-based testing in a test process.
- Effectively create and maintain MBT models using established techniques and best practices of model-based testing.
- Select, create and maintain test artifacts from MBT models considering risk and value of the features tested.
- Support the organization to improve its quality assurance process to be more constructive and efficient.
In general, an ISTQB® Model-Based Tester has acquired the necessary skills to successfully contribute to MBT projects in a given context.
Certified model-based testers should be able to demonstrate their skills in the following areas:
- Objectives and motivations for model-based testing
- Activities specific to MBT and essential MBT artifacts
- Integrating MBT into the software development lifecycle
- MBT modeling (good practices, languages, types of MBT models)
- Test selection criteria used in model-based testing
- MBT test implementation and execution
- Evaluating and deploying an MBT Approach
The Model-Based Tester is based on the ISTQB® Model-Based Tester Syllabus.
The International Software Testing Qualifications Board (ISTQB®) provides it to the national examination bodies for them to accredit the training providers and to derive examination questions in their local language.
Training providers will produce courseware and determine appropriate teaching methods for accreditation, and the syllabus will help candidates in their preparation for the examination.
To receive the Model-Based Tester certification, candidates must hold the Foundation Certificate.
The Model-Based Tester Syllabus is available in Materials for download section.
Similar to the Foundation Level Certification exam, the Model-Based Tester Certification exam will comprise of 40 multiple choice questions, with a pass mark of 65% to be completed within 60 minutes.
|Module||Number of questions||Exam length (minutes)|
|Foundation Level Model-Based Tester||40||60|
Accredited training providers
Exams may be taken as part of a course delivered by an Accredited Training Provider or taken independently at an examination center or in a public exam.
The typical duration of the Model-Based Tester Certification Training offered by an Accredited Training Provider is 2 days. Completion of an accredited training course is not a prerequisite for participating to the exam.
Materials for Download
|ISTQB CTFL-MBT - Syllabus 2015||Size 527.48 KB|
|ISTQB CTFL-MBT - Sample Exam - 2015 1.0||Size 412.05 KB|
|ISTQB CTFL-MBT - Sample Exam Answers and Justifications - 2015 1.0||Size 412.89 KB|
|ISTQB Exam Structures and Rules v1.0||Size 173.11 KB|
|Exam Structure Tables v1.0||Size 880.46 KB|
|ISTQB CTFL-MBT - Overview 2015||Size 313.24 KB|