- Business Outcomes
- Learning Objectives
- Exam Structure
- Materials for Download
The Foundation Level Usability Testing qualification is aimed at people who have already achieved a Foundation point in their careers in software testing and wish to develop further their expertise in Usability Testing.
The following image demonstrates the contents of the Foundation Level Usability Testing syllabus:
Foundation Level Usability Testing candidates who have passed the Foundation Level „Usability Testing” syllabus exam should be able to accomplish the following Business Objectives:
- Understand the basic concepts of usability and usability testing.
- Identify and classify the severity of usability risks and potential accessibility violations in a given product at any stage of a development cycle.
- Cite relevant standards for usability, user experience, and accessibility and verify their implementation in a given product.
- Set up procedures so that stated usability, user experience and accessibility goals may be verified in practice for a given product.
- Design and monitor the implementation of a test plan for achieving stated usability, user experience and accessibility goals.
- Explain the rationale, process and results of usability, user experience and accessibility evaluations to non-specialist stakeholders.
Certified Foundation Level Usability Testing candidates should be able to demonstrate their skills in the following areas:
- Understand the concepts of usability, user experience and accessibility.
- Understand the objectives of usability, user experience and accessibility evaluation.
- Compare usability, user experience and accessibility evaluation.
- Understand the three approaches to usability, user experience and accessibility evaluation: Usability review, usability testing and quantitative user surveys for satisfaction measurement.
- Understand the differences between formative (qualitative) and summative (quantitative) usability evaluation.
- Understand the key elements of human-centered evaluation.
- Understand the human-centered design process.
- Understand the usability evaluation approaches that work well in agile software development lifecycles.
- Understand typical usability, user experience, and accessibility risks
- Analyze a given project at the design or evaluation stage, and identify the types of usability risks that are likely to occur
- Understand the general content and applicability of ISO usability standards and manufacturer guidelines to particular types of project/application
- Understand the general content and applicability of ISO 9241-171 (Software Accessibility) and the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0 to particular types of project and applications
- Understand the general content of accessibility legislation (UK Equality Act 2010 and Americans with Disabilities Act)
- Understand usability review as a method for evaluating usability, user experience and accessibility
- Understand the differences between informal usability review and expert usability review
- Analyze the usability aspects of a software application using the usability review method “heuristic evaluation” according to a checklist provided in the syllabus
- Understand the principal steps in the usability testing approach
- Understand the content of a usability test plan
- Understand the content of a usability test script
- Define a simple usability test task for a given project
- Understand considerations to be applied when deciding on a location for usability tests
- Understand the advantages and disadvantages of a usability test lab
- Understand the key activities in a usability test session
- Understand the procedure to apply for analyzing findings from a usability test
- Understand the classifications and ratings for usability findings
- Review a usability test report for a given project
- Understand how to overcome internal resistance to usability findings
- Apply a given list of best practices to report and communicate results
- Understand the quality control activities for a usability test
- Understand the most frequent and serious mistakes in usability testing
- Understand the purpose and approach adopted in user surveys
- Understand the principal content and objectives of the public user questionnaires SUS, SUMI and WAMMI
- Select appropriate method(s) for verifying and validating usability, user experience and accessibility in a given project
- Understand the principal tasks and responsibilities of the Usability Tester
- Understand the principal tasks and responsibilities of the Moderator and the Note-Taker
The Usability Testing is based on the Usability Testing Syllabus.
The International Software Testing Qualifications Board (ISTQB®) provides it to the national examination bodies for them to accredit the training providers and to derive examination questions in their local language.
Training providers will produce courseware and determine appropriate teaching methods for accreditation, and the syllabus will help candidates in their preparation for the examination.
To receive the Usability Testing certification, candidates must hold the Foundation Certificate.
The Usability Testing Syllabus is available in Materials for download section.
The Foundation Level Usability Testing exam is comprised of 40 multiple-choice questions, with a pass mark grade of 65% to be completed within 60 minutes. Participants that take the exam not in their spoken language, will receive additional 25% time, and will have 15 minutes more, or a total of 75 min.
|Module||Number of questions||Exam length (minutes)||Exam length +25% (minutes)|
|Foundation Level Usability Testing||40||60||75|
Accredited training providers
Exams may be taken as part of a course delivered by an Accredited Training Provider or taken independently at an examination center or in a public exam.
The typical duration of the Usability Certification Training offered by an Accredited Training Provider is 2 days. Completion of an accredited training course is not a prerequisite for participating to the exam.
Materials for Download
|Usability Testing Specialist FL Syllabus||Size 1.03 MB|
|Usability Testing Specialist FL Sample Exam Questions||Size 341.67 KB|
|Usability Testing Specialist FL Sample Exam Answers||Size 379.6 KB|
|ISTQB Exam Structures and Rules v1.0||Size 173.11 KB|
|Exam Structure Tables v1.0||Size 880.46 KB|
|Usability Testing Specialist FL Accreditation Guidelines||Size 418.67 KB|