Certified Tester Expert Level Test Management Operational Test Management (CTEL-TM-OTM)
The ISTQB® CTEL-TM-Operational Test Management content within the CTEL-Test Management syllabus considers the skills needed for the Test Manager to manage third party relationships including contractual, communication, integration, and verification of quality aspects. It covers the ability to create, build, and maintain relationships with other managers and other teams, as well as project management skills, including project risk management, and organizing and moderating effective retrospective meetings. Reporting and interpreting test results by evaluation of exit criteria is elaborated upon, and metrics are described which play a crucial role in the management of the test process. Release considerations for the Test Manager are also highlighted.
For Part 1 of the CTEL-TM certification, refer to CTEL-TM-STM and for Part 3, refer to CTEL-TM-MTT. All 3 Parts are required to be CTEL-TM certified.
The Expert Level certification is aimed at those who have already achieved an advanced point in their careers in software testing and wish to develop further their expertise in a specific area.
To obtain Expert Level certification, candidates must have:
- the Certified Tester Foundation Level (CTFL) certificate
- the Advanced Level Test Manager (CTAL-TM) certificate
- passed the Expert Level Exam
- at least 5 years of practical testing experience
- at least 2 years of industry experience in the specific Expert Level topic
The expert test manager is able to perform each of the following tasks:
- Lead the test management within an organization, project or program to identify and manage critical success factors with management commitment at CEO/Board level;
- Take appropriate business-driven decisions on a test management strategy and implement organization wide commitment and compliance based on quality KPIs;
- Assess the current status of the test management, propose step-wise improvements and show how these are linked to achieving business goals within the organizational context of test management (organization or project/program);
- Set up a strategic policy for improving the test management and the testing, and implement that policy in an organization;
- Analyze specific problems with the test management and its alignment with other roles or management areas in the project/organization, and propose effective solutions;
- Create a master test plan with matching governance dashboard to meet or exceed the business objectives of the organization or a project/program;
- Develop innovative concepts for test management (project) organizations which include required roles, skills, methodologies (tools) and organizational structure;
- Establish a standard process for implementing test management in an organization (project/program) with standardized delivery based on quality KPIs;
- Lead an organization to improve the test management process and manage the introduction of changes;
- Understand and effectively manage the human issues associated with test-project management and implement necessary changes.
Expert Level provides in-depth, practically-oriented certification courses in a range of different testing subjects. Materials provided at Expert Level build on the knowledge and experience obtained at the Advanced Level.